Getting Started with UDK
- Learn how to greybox your level by building basic shapes and reshaping the environment
- Use the visual scripting tool Kismet to create all of the gameplay for your project, from spawning waves of enemies to building placeable towers
- Develop a thorough understanding of how to use the industry standard Scaleform to create a custom HUD and Main Menu screen to make a game your own
Getting Started with UDK
UDK, the free version of the popular and award-winning Unreal 3 Engine, is an amazing and powerful tool to use for projects of any kind. You can use it to create high-quality games and make your dream games a reality.
UDK can be a little intimidating based on the level of games it has contributed to the ever growing and ever exciting world of gaming. Overcome all your apprehensions with this step-by-step guide and build a complete project within the Unreal Development Kit with unique gameplay, custom menus, and a triple A rated finish
This book will help you create a custom tower defense game within UDK, even if you have absolutely no prior knowledge of UDK game development.
In next to no time, you will learn how to create any kind of environment within UDK. With your basic environment created, you will make use of simple visual scripting to create a tower defense game complete with enemies attacking in waves. We then finish off the game with custom menus and a Heads Up Display. The final step is to release your game into the wild and give others the excitement of playing it.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn tips and tricks to achieve what every gamer dreams about – their very own gaming environment
- Create gameplay functionality such as enemy wave spawning and placeable towers using Kismet
- Use Geometry Mode to greybox environments
- Build multiple towers making use of Prefabs
- Design visually stunning environments making use of materials and static meshes.
- Place power-ups in your environment, such as weapons and health
- Communicate between Flash to UDK and vice-versa through Kismet
This book is written by someone who is passionate about games for those who are equally passionate about games. The step-by-step instructions contained within this guide will make creating your first game simple.
Who this book is for
If you have ever had the urge to know more about how all those amazing games you played for countless hours are created, then this book is definitely for you! This step-by-step tutorial will teach you how to create a complete game within UDK.
Even if you have no prior experience of UDK, you can still start building the games you want today.