Drupal 7 Mobile Web Development Beginner’s Guide
- Follow the example of a ‘Mom & Pop’ restaurant site to make the transition to a mobile site easier
- Prototype a distributed team workflow with GIT version control
- Implement audio, video, charting and mapping solutions that work on Mobile, Tablet, and Desktop browsers
Transform your existing Drupal site into one that is completely compatible with mobile and tablet devices
How disappointing is it to log on to a website for a product or business you love only to discover the feature you were drawn to doesn’t work on your mobile or tablet? Drupal has brand new features to adapt your existing site into a mobile site that will keep your customers coming back.
The Drupal 7 Mobile Web Development Beginner’s Guide follows a humble ‘Mom & Pop’ restaurant website which gets a makeover complete with cutting edge features that play to mobile, tablet and desktop audiences. By following the fun example, you will finish the book having effortlessly adapted your website so that it is accessible and, more importantly, looks good and functions well, on any mobile device.
Restaurant websites are notoriously horrible to navigate and our Mom & Pop example is well intentioned but no exception to this rule. We bring this site out of the early 1990’s with cutting edge development practices and a team development workflow. This pizza chain goes mobile with location services, audio, video, charting and mapping worthy of any multi-million dollar site. Each chapter examines the way the site works and shows you how to move the existing content and functionality into reusable features.
What you will learn from this book
- Set up Domain Access and Drupal Behaviors that redirect mobile and desktop browsers to the version of the website most appropriate for your client
- Share content across sites without resorting to a multi-site install
- Use context and image styles to create a customized view for the home page
- Create a mobile-friendly menu
- Bundle several exercises up into a feature that can push new content to your live site in one fell swoop
- Create a compelling audio and video experience without using Flash
- Customize a theme that will present your site to mobile and desktop clients alike with a unified marketing message
Follow the fun example of a family pizza restaurant to help you adapt your own website to one that is fully functional in a mobile environment. Each chapter covers a different aspect of mobile web development with plenty of step-by-step instructions and screenshots to make things clearer.
Who this book is written for
This book is for independent developers who may or may not have had experience with Drupal websites. We take some “deep dives” into customized functionality that will take your Drupal development and your development workflow to the next level.